The inaugural CHS fitness event was held on Saturday 12th June, 2021 at the school gym and games room located at the KMSH.
The event started at 9am and went on till 6pm. Activities were categorized into two: Crossfit and Strength/weights categories. The CrossFit category included the following activities: modified push up planks, burpees with a bench, modified military press, squats for reps and deadlift for reps. The Strength category included deadlift, squats, bench press, military press and pull ups.
A total of five teams participated in the strength category and four in the cross fit category. Each team had four participants; not more than three per gender. Winners in the various categories were awarded as follows:
- Overall best team: Strength Category-Strength quartet comprising of Eugene Muthomi, Ian Mutoro, Esther Zawadi, Maxmerian Makori
- Overall best team: CrossFit Category-Team III-Khasandi Lucky, Esther Zawadi, Njeri Judy, Onamet Bashir
- Best individual Squats-Ian Mutoro
- Best individual Bench Press-Ian Mutoro
- Best individual Pull ups-Baraza Jonah
- Best individual Military Press-Ian Mutoro.
- Best individual Deadlift-Eugene Muthomi
- Best female athlete Weights Category-Esther Zawadi
- Best athlete CrossFit Category-Lucky Khasandi
- Best athlete Weights Category-Ian Mutoro
The prize giving ceremony was graced by the CHS games tutor Madam Marete and the CHS UNSA leadership. The theme of the event was: Striving towards physical and mental fitness.
There was a huge turnout from the players to the spectators as the competition kept the whole college thrilled from start to finish. This is evidence that efforts by the college administration to support and grow sports especially by setting up a gym are bearing fruit. The students look forward to more events in the future.
Written by Nyanduko Barangoi-MBChB III